Cynthia Nappa, Specialty Foods ManagerDelicious Orchards, Colts Neck
This recipe is a nice accompaniment to holiday roasts or a day after supper. The sprouts are crisp and an appealing dish as a side. The extra texture of scallions and almonds add to the flavor to these “little cabbages”.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 6-8 scallions cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- 1 and 1/2 ounces slivered almonds
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Remove any large outer leaves and trim the bases of the Brussels sprouts. Cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat the oil in a wok or heavy frying pan and fry the scallions and the ginger for 2–3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the almonds and stir-fry over moderate heat until both the scallions and almonds begin to brown.
- Remove and discard the ginger, reduce the heat and stir in the Brussels sprouts. Stir-fry for a few minutes and then pour in the stock and cook over low heat for 5–6 minutes or until the sprouts are nearly tender.
- Add a little salt, if necessary, and then increase the heat to boil off the excess liquid. Spoon into a warmed serving dish and serve immediately. (Serves 4.)
Route 34 South, Colts Neck